A journey of a thousand miles starts in front of your feet

Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Big Buddy gets his fish

Yellow Fin Tuna steak.
Yes, I was taken back when I saw the guts also.
Mr. Big's dinner masterpiece.
In a previous post I mentioned how Big Buddy really wanted to buy a fish from the British Supermarket so that he could eat its eyes, fin and lips. Well, watch what you put out into the Universe...the very next day, Mr. Big met an Arab gentleman named Khalid who loves to fish. The story is that this man used to be a falconer, however,  has given that up and taken on fishing due to the gratification that comes from fishing. In conversation, Mr. Big mentioned that the last time he was in Orlando, he had the best Yellow Fin Tuna he had ever tasted. Well, the Arab gentleman explained with joy that he catches those all the time and that he would bring Mr. Big a fresh one tomorrow. (Please note...that Arab's are very giving people. Whenever they see an opportunity to give a gift to someone they do). No Kidding! The very next day, Mr. Big received a phone call that this very kind gentleman had dropped off a fresh yellow fin tuna at Seyed's Falconry shop for us. We laughed at the idea and wondered if it was a whole tuna (those things are massive!).

Luckily, when we picked up the tuna, the gentleman had it sliced into steaks. Big Buddy was so excited that he was going to get to eat fish (I think he was a little bit sad that it was missing the eyes, fins and lips, but I was grateful they were...believe me!). The challenging thing is that Mr. Big and I have never really prepared fish before. So I put Mr. Big to the task and Voila...he did a great job. It looked so pretty sitting on the plate with rice and carrots. The first couple of bites tasted really fantastic. However, the more bites we took the more we quickly realized that we don't really love fish and it needed some sort of seasoning (not to forget that Mr. Big could not stand that our apartment smelled like Yellow Fin Tuna for the next three days). I think if we would of had some ketchup, it might of been OK. We still have three more of these steaks in our freezer if someone wants them! Or at least give me an idea of how to season these babies. :)

Florida's Natural Orange Juice, Yum!
Thought you might get a kick out of what food packaging looks like over here in the Middle East. I was able to find my favorite orange juice, "Florida's Natural" over here in Dubai. It is really fun to see it in a different language (the orange juice does taste delicious over here, and I find that I am drinking a lot of it). OMG, I also found this super funny package of chicken nuggets. Please notice how the two little boys look like two fat little American boys. I actually laughed out loud when I saw this. Priceless!

Dubai is super hot and very humid. Anyone that knows me knows that my drink of choice is water all the way! So I am always nervous when I cannot find good water to drink. Well, over here instead of water bottles that I am so used to, they have these little water cups. Big Buddy just loves these! They are perfect for kids. I was able to find water bottles later and believe me they do come in a "Super" size.




Chicken Nuggets American Style, LOL!

















Big Buddy with a water cup.

5 comments:

  1. Found a couple sites for you on how to cook yellowfin. I guess the secret to good fish is to not overcook. Yellowfin is one of my favorite fish!

    So here are some sites with tips and recipes:

    http://www.cooks.com/rec/doc/0,1745,159188-241194,00.html

    http://homecooking.about.com/od/fishrecipes/r/blfish26.htm

    http://simplyrecipes.com/recipes/seared_ahi_tuna/

    Here's one with Ketchup :)

    http://homecooking.about.com/od/fishrecipes/r/blfish23.htm

    I've never tried any of these recipes, but they look good!

    Elynn

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much!!! This will really help! Wish you where here visiting us!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Heather,

    If you marinate the steaks in italian dressing overnight and then bake them, they're delicious!

    Chris

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey thanks Chris! That does sound delicious! I think I will give this a try!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lemon Juice, salt and pepper... and a little dill mixed in a little olive oil. (thats how I season Salmon...) Good luck! Sounds fun! :o)

    ReplyDelete