A journey of a thousand miles starts in front of your feet

Monday, December 13, 2010

I got my first tattoo!

Me getting my first tattoo! I chose a pretty floral vine.
The thought of getting a tattoo has always scared me a little bit ( I know, I am a wuss)! I guess it is because it is so permanent. I would hate to end up with something that was sapost to look like a butterfly, but ended up looking like some old man part (you know what I mean) or something. The risk is just too great. So I have added "Get a tattoo" to my bucket list thinking that one day, big or small, I would get one.

Big Buddy getting a dragon tattoo on his arm.
Well, ladies...I have successfully gotten a tattoo and I LOVE it! I have found a way around the "permanent" part of it. Over here in Dubai, there are lots of Indian ladies who are skilled in the art of Henna. Henna is a type of tattoo that Indian women get all over their hands and even sometimes arms. It is created from the henna plant which is ground up into a paste and then applied to your skin. The paste then dries and flakes off, staining your skin in the process. Henna has always fascinated me. A tattoo that stains your skin and stays on from 10 days to 4 weeks. Interesting!

Here we are with our tattoos!
One day Mr. Big, Big Buddy and I were walking through a souk (an Arab market) and found this cute Indian girl doing henna. So I decided to mark off the "get a tattoo" from my bucket list and got one. It only takes about 10 to 15 minutes and the gal just free hand draws it on you. I really and truly feel that this is an art (well, I guess like face painting is an art). It makes you feel all exotic when you have a henna tattoo. It definitely catches peoples eye!

Watching me get my henna tattoo, Big Buddy decided that he wanted one also. So he got a dragon. He sat really still and was such a good boy! Mr. Big opted out of a tattoo for himself. He said that he already gets enough attention from the ladies and didn't need to draw anymore his way! ;)

1 comment:

  1. Henna is nice, but one day you will find something that you will want to wear forever. Plus, if you get them where you can cover them then there are no worries. All my hidden tats I forget that I have until someone reminds me lol. I love both my wrist tats and would like to add to them. Find something that has meaning, like the 3 spirals I got for mother, maiden and croan. I got it for mom and grandmas.

    ReplyDelete