A journey of a thousand miles starts in front of your feet

Sunday, December 19, 2010

New Apartment in Old Town

Old Town island in center of Dubai
It has been about a week and a half since we moved into our new apartment located in what is called, "Old Town" in downtown Dubai. We decided to move from the luxurious Palm island because we started feeling really secluded from everything but the beach. So to bring more experiences to our family and to make it easy for Big Buddy and me to entertain ourselves while Mr. Big is working and traveling, we moved.

Our apartment on the second floor.
Boy, are we happy that we did! Life is totally different here in Old Town. Old Town is situated on a small man-made island that sits in the middle of Dubai right next to the Burj Khalifa (the tallest building in the world) and also right next to the Dubai Mall (every girls dream if I do say so myself!). I have to admit, it feels a bit like Beverly Hills. Surrounded by 5 star restaurants, giant fountain shows, expensive cars, and the fashion...oh, what an experience!

I really like the architecture of Old Town. Sort of gives me a European feel. Many families have chosen to live here also due to convenience. Old Town places you in the center of town, making it easy to get to other cities which is great for Mr. Big. We are living on the second floor in the apartments. Here is a picture of our actual place. I also really like that it is a
Love the architecture of the buildings.
gated community, so people cannot wander in. I am finding it very relaxing waking up and seeing palm trees and running water right outside our windows. Next door is "The Address" a very nice 5 star hotel. At night we like to sit outside and watch the nightlife. Since we are so close to the mall and there is a giant water fountain show that goes off every thirty minutes, coupled with tons of tasty restaurants surrounding us, it has been declaired as the weekend hangout for Arab teens, families, and tourists.

I am also happy to report that Old Town has constant security walking around. Makes me feel safer just thinking about it. And I really appreciate that everyday you can catch maintenance happening. From just cleaning the sidewalks to repairing lights, and manicuring the landscape. They really take good care of this place!

View of the bridge, Burj Khalifa, and mall from the sidewalk
right outside my apartment.


There is just one small drawback...because it is the happening place all the time day or night, I have found that Arabs like to smoke "Sheesha". I am not completely sure if it is just tobacco, but it is a leisure to sit around in comfy chairs while smoking this Sheesha from a giant genie type looking lamp that sits on the ground (I guess it is a giant bong). They like to add flavors to it like peach, strawberry, apple, blueberry, mango, etc. Very strange to see and smell. I admit, I don't love second hand smoke. Every time, I encounter it, I think about where I work (Huntsman Cancer Institute) and wonder what the rate of lung cancer is here in Dubai. I am also holding my breath wondering if my stay here will shorten my life span any...interesting. Here is a picture of what I am talking about. Turns out it comes from Egypt and is loved in
A sheesha pipe or also known as the Hubbly bubbly. Seen at
every restaurant here outside.
the Middle East. Apple is the number one flavor used.

There is a giant walking path that goes all the way around the lake and the buildings that I like
At night we can sit out on the patio and watch the fountain
show (I am starting to get really tired of hearing Celene
Dion every hour and a half!)
to walk on. You cannot walk it during the day, because it does still get pretty warm during the day. But at night it is quite delightful! Plus, I really like to people watch and you can pretty much see people from all sorts of different walks of life here at any given moment (except from American, I think we are the token American family here!)

In our building on the 6th floor is also a hidden playground and two nice swimming pools that sits in the middle of the Old Town buildings...sort of like a private hidden garden. I like to take Big Buddy here every evening to play with his new little friends. He has made a friend from Japan, and two from France. Of course they are all girls! He loves it!




























No comments:

Post a Comment